ALL ABOUT GROWING SKILLS
This broad programme is a large step up from Nippers overall plus an introduction to the competitive side of Surf Lifesaving and patrolling.
The courses consist of 1-hour beach sessions in which qualified Surf Lifeguards teach your children Water Safety rules, coaching surf sports on the beach and water safety skills in the sea. Specific activities include:
- advanced wading and duck diving in the water
- body board competency
- technique for running races on sand, beach flags
- intermediate surf safety, sun smart, rips and waves
- exploring Whiritoa
- first day is 28 December 2017, the last day is the 18th of January 2018
- sessions are daily, Monday to Saturday
- we meet outside the club, beach side
- Cadets must have swimming competency, to the point where they are comfortable completing 4 laps before the season begins.
- Parents are not required at cadet sessions
- At events such as carnivals, please be respectful and supportive to other clubs and their kids. It has never been an issue for Whiritoa, but just wanted to mention this just to be sure.
- If you have been a member – you should get a re-registration pack through the post
- If you are a new member – see us at the clubrooms on Registration Day (27 December 2017), or register at the bar when open ASAP
Checklist for a Cadet
What to wear during the session:
- Whiritoa Togs
- Whiritoa Rash Top (for safety, purchasable at the bar)
- Wetsuit (optional, recommended for extra slim kids)
What to have with you at the beach:
- Drink bottle with water
- Sunscreen (pre-applied, there is usually a large bottle at the club)
- Plenty of energy
Wet Weather and cancellations
We almost never cancel a Cadet session; we’re always there, rain, hail or shine. But if there is just no choice, we will work inside the clubrooms on theory.
This course is an intermediate step to becoming a lifeguard. We find that the earlier they start these programmes, the better lifeguards they become in the future.
For any questions about any of the Junior Surf Programmes, contact Maiya Bonney via email email@example.com
Or talk to one of the cadet coaches for this season, Mikayla McClennan or Ben Laurie.